Mullett Lake is
a lake in the northern tip of lower Michigan.
The lake is named after John Mullett,
who, together with William A. Burt, made a federal
survey of the area from 1840 to 1843. A neighboring lake
was named after Burt.
The lake is approximately
10 miles (16 km) long from southeast to northeast, about
4 miles (6.4 km) at its widest, and 120 feet (37 m) at
its deepest. It covers 17,360 acres, making it the third
largest inland lake in Michigan.
Major inflows to the lake
are the Indian River, which connects with nearby Burt
Lake, Pigeon River, Little Pigeon River, and Mullett Creek.
The Cheboygan River flows out
of the northeast end of the lake.
The lake is part of the
great Inland Waterway, by which one can boat 38 miles
(61 km) from Crooked Lake and Round Lake near the Little
Traverse Bay of Lake Michigan across the northern tip of
the lower peninsula's so-called mitten
to Cheboygan on Lake Huron.
The Inland Waterway was
a Native American trade route that was later opened to
small steamer and modern recreational traffic.
I-75 passes to the west of
the lake, with two interchanges near the south end of
the lake at the unincorporated community of Indian
River. M-27 passes along the northern shore of the lake
through the unincorporated communities of Mullett
Lake and Topinabee, while M-33 running north-south
passes along a portion of the eastern shore through the
community of Aloha.
Mullett Lake is an
excellent fishery, with a variety of game
species, including brown trout, brook trout, rainbow
trout, steelhead, splake, smelt, northern
Pike, muskellunge, yellow perch, walleye, smallmouth
bass, largemouth bass. Most notably lake
sturgeon (the state record specimen was taken from these
waters) are making a comeback.
Mullet Lake has a
historical, former Michigan Central passenger train
ticket station. The station sits directly at the end of
Polish Line Road and has about 200 feet of lake front
property. It was bought (1950) by an old Michigan
Central railroad employee once it shut down and was
turned into a family cottage which is still used today
(2008). The "Old Depot" which is the nickname for the
cottage was the main connection between Detroit and